April 12, 2017

Tribe

I grew up hearing the opposite of the common phrase: you can choose your friends but you can’t choose your family. My mom always made it very clear we were able to choose our families. That’s in perfect contradiction to that very common phrase you hear thrown out again and again. Now that I’m older I understand the point she was trying to make. I grew up with my closest “Aunties” being my mom’s best friends. I didn’t know anything different. I always had aunts and uncles that weren’t technically blood relatives. But they are family. They’re the people you call in the middle of the night. As I’ve gotten older I’ve affectionately named this my tribe. Your tribe doesn’t have to be blood relatives. They’re a collection of the people that have your back no matter what. That love you, support you, call you on your stuff when you need it and are always there for you.


The family you get you get. That’s it. I can’t change my lineage or the people who are genetically related to me. But I have complete control of my tribe. So here’s a shoutout to my very badass tribe. [I know I know should missionaries-yuck on that word- cuss? What can I say I’m a rebel] Love you and wouldn’t be in Uganda without you. 


Sista Friend who let's me take selfies in the middle of the street.

Fave people on the planet. 

These two. I don't even have words. LOVE YOU BOTH.

Shoutout to this babe who's birthday it is today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KARA! xox.
T. Payne and I at the Farmer's Market.
Julie + Momma + Tracy as Cows. Aren't they great?!

Love you all and can't wait to see you SO VERY SOON.
xox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Some Love :)