June 28, 2017

Authenticity.

Authenticity is not something we have or don't have. It's a practice-- a conscious choice of how we want to live. Authenticity is a collection of choices that we have to make every day. It's about the choice to show up and be real. The choice to be honest. The choice to let our true selves be seen.
--- Brene Brown

Beginning my time in Uganda in January was rough. As exciting as it was to be on the adventure of a lifetime it also was my life. I went from friends and culture and ease of stores and community to an entirely new way of life. Where nothing I did was right, where I couldn't predict anything and even simple things like food became all day tasks.

My hope here is to be authentic and the truth of it is that it was hard. Really really hard. Every day I was confronted with things that didn’t make sense to me or that I simply didn’t understand.

Why is it okay for that man to NEVER have pants on?

What’s the actual price for an avocado, without the skin tax?

Why are gender roles so strict here?

Hanging out with so many cuties.

Auntie Lydia + Baby Maya.

Auntie Lydia + Baby Maya.

Pool day with new friends!

I don’t ever want to forget those moments or thoughts even though now for round two they all seem so normal to me. Yes, even the man with no pants or the topless woman roaming around town, I don’t even think twice about it. But originally, I did and if I forget that truth then I’m robbing God of His story. I don’t want to say those things for shock value but for the simple truth of it’s what happens. If we’re not authentic about what’s happening we aren’t giving context to ALLLLL that God is doing. He’s doing so much here in Lira. He’s doing so much in me. But if I gloss over the ugly parts it doesn’t seem as powerful.



Saving Grace Primary School + Maize field.

Saving Grace Primary School + Maize field.


Ronald in class.

I want to always strive to be authentic, even when that hurts. To show up again and again and again and be real. Even when I'm told it's wrong. Or too honest. Or too anything. 

Being authentic is exactly how I want to spend my time, no matter the cost. Because if we allow that to happen, God can move and do things we could only dream of. 

And I'm content with that risk. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Some Love :)